Monday, January 19, 2009

My First Concert!

This last Saturday was an interesting one. After a few hours of pruning rosebushes, avoiding bees and bugs and smelling roses, my dad took my youngest brother and I to a violin concert. It was at the Old Town Temecula Community Theater. Before we went, my dad looked up to see who these people were who were playing.

The group is called "Interpreti Veneziani", and the instruments they played consisted of 5 violins, a viola, a harpsichord, a cello and a HUGE doublebass! And they all came from Italy! To be honest, it made us wonder "what are real musicians doing in Temecula?" lol.

Anyway, after a quick dinner from In N Out, we arrived at the theater. The music was absolutely beautiful and outstanding. Most of the pieces they played were written by Antonio Vivaldi, but there were some pieces from other composers too. (Arcangelo Corelli, Tammaso Vitali, and Niccolò Paganini)

The guy who was playing the cello made me chuckle. He was shaking his head as he played, and kept glancing over at the big gigantic doublebass next to him, and made funny expressions. I think he must have had a fun time.

The last song before the encore was jaw dropping. I've only started learning the violin nearly 2 years ago (has it been that long!?), and I didn't want to practice afterward because I didn't want to hear myself play. The song, "La Campanella" was written by Niccolò Paganini, and it was, to be truthfully honest, a bit irritating at the first. It was super high, and someone was hitting a triangle, and the pitch made my head ache. But as the song went on, it improved, and the 1st violinist was absolutely amazing. He made sounds come out of that violin that I had never heard come out of one before. It was whistling! His left hand (the one that makes the notes) was up so high, it was going where my bow sometimes goes over the fingerboard!!!! He was sliding the notes, with chromatic scales, and plucking and wow!!! It was awesome!!

The applause was really loud after that song. They played 2 songs for an encore, one of them was Vivaldi's Four Seasons - Summer piece, or at least part of it. They did a splendid job.

Once we got home, we ate freshly baked chocolate chocolate cookies and watched Hitchcock's North by Northwest with the rest of the family. It was a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment